It is no more news that hundreds of Nigerian youths, across the country, have taken to the streets to demand that the Special-Anti-Robbery Squad, SARS, of the Nigerian Police force and every related unit be disbanded. Even after the government heeded to this request, the protests waxed stronger as new demands sprung up.
One cannot, however, deny that there are various reasons many partake in this protest. Everybody get wetin dey ginger am come protest, different strokes for different folks. Below is a list of 10 types of individuals that are currently partaking in the #EndSARS protests.
- NEVER AGAIN: These sets are the individuals that have personally experienced SARS brutality. They have been harrased, extorted and have felt the high-handedness of these SARS operatives. Some still have scars from the beatings and they are on the streets to express their grievances. While others might imagine what it feels like, they have first hand experience and now they say NEVER AGAIN!
- IN MEMORY OF: There are those who have lost their friends and family members to the brutality of SARS. The protest is a fight dedicated to their loved ones and their little way to show respect to the souls that have departed. They do not care if violence erupts in the process. They belong to the group the Yorubas will call “ti adie ba da mi l’ogun nu, ma fo ni eyin’ (tit-for-tat)
This is DJ KAKA.— Gege (@Miukin_Vim) October 14, 2020
SARS took him to prison for 4 good years killed his twin brother, took his car, almost killed him too after they have killed his twin.#ENDSWAT#SarsMustGoNow#EndPoliceBrutalityinNigeria pic.twitter.com/cbz800FYda
- THE CONCERNED NIGERIAN: They have never experienced SARS brutality neither do they know anyone who have. However, they have seen the trending videos on social media and have read the reports of the brutality making headlines. They want a stop to the menace and they are ready to play active parts to bring these to reality.
My brother spies my twitter and i dont even know his handle. He calls or texts to warn me about the type of tweets i put out. Brother Tunde,SARS killed a girls 3 brothers. If they harm you,I will run mad. If you see me protesting its for us! Soro soke! #SARSMUSTEND— Sisi🇳🇬Abena🇬🇭 (@Glowrey_) October 14, 2020
- FOLLOW-FOLLOW: These Nigerians have no clear idea of what the movement stands for, however, you will always see them on the protest ground. They are simply following the crowd even if they cannot pin-point where are headed. They have seen that #EndSARS is the new song on everybody’s lips, and even if they don’t know the lyrics, they are prepared to hum till they are satisfied.
- HERE FOR THE VIOLENCE FOLKS: This explains itself. They do don’t believe in anything, they are just on the protest ground for the violence.
- THE STAR-STRUCK PROTESTER: They have seen the number of A-list celebrities and popular social media influencers that are partaking in these protests. Meeting these celebrities is a do or die affair for them. They take time to plan out what they will wear to the protest ground a day before and have the captions for their pictures with the celebrities in their heads before leaving home.
- OPERATION I MUST GET MARRIED: They are single to stupor and are on a mission to find love. Even though they say #SARSMUSTEND, deep down they know it’s a situation of #theSINGLELIFEMUSTEND. You can’t really blame them, even Rihanna says we find love in a hopeless place. They monitor every protester, screen them according to their specs and tastes and make sure they collect as many mobile numbers as possible (the protest souvenirs).
The girl i carried for 20mins while Police was chasing us invited me to dinner tomorrow.— Akpi NBA CHAMPION (@oka4or) October 11, 2020
Akpi 1- 0 Sars, hoekage, Austin, and all my
- THE FOODIE: Their eyes have seen and their ears have heard that protesters are being treated to a “buffet’. They have a goal and it’s simple; to compare and contrast the party jollof and protest jollof.
- THE HUSTLER: These are people that are only on the protest ground to network and try to meet as many people that can help their career as possible. Some have also turned it to an avenue to link up with long time friends while making new ones.
- THE YAHOO BOY: The last on this list is the internet fraudster. They are only joining in on the protest because they think if SARS is scrapped, they will be able to operate smoothly. They are highly delusional and think this fight is in support of them.
No matter the category you find yourself though, keep up the good work. These protest, as some have said, is a legacy being built.
GOD BLESS NIGERIA!