DIG Usman Alkali Baba has been appointed as the Acting Inspector General of police. This was announced by the Minister of Police Affairs, Maigari Dingyadi on Tuesday. Usman Alkali Baba replaces Mohammed Adamu whose tenure was extended by three months in February.
Here are five things to know about Alkali Baba.
- Usman Alkali was born on 1st March, 1963 and he’s an indigene of Yobe state, Geidam precisely.
- He studied Political Science at Bayero University, Kano State and holds a Masters degree in Public Administration (MPA) Degree from the University of Maiduguri, Borno State.
- He has held various strategic positions in the past including as DIG Force CID and the Force Secretary at the Force Headquarters, Abuja. He was also the Deputy Commissioner, Administration, then the Deputy Commissioner, Investigation, in the nation’s capital, Abuja. Baba also served in the staff college as a directing staff. He was also a Divisional Police Officer in Yola, Gombe, and Jos. In Ilorin, Kwara state, he was an Area Commander; in Ebonyi, second-in-command; in Kaduna, Assistant Commissioner and CID.
- The acting IGP was a member of Course 22/2014 2014, National Defence College (NDC). Currently, he is a member of the International Association of Police and a fellow of the International War College.
- His appointment takes effect immediately.