The longest-serving Senator from Imo, Senator Arthur Nzeribe is reportedly dead. A family member confirmed his death to The Nation.
Here are 5 things to know about him:
- Francis Arthur Nzeribe was born in Oguta, Imo State on November 2, 1938, into the family of Oyimba Nzeribe who was a lawyer and former state counsel. Francis’s grandfather, Akpati Nzeribe, was also the traditional title of Ogbuagu, Oshiji, Damanze Oyimba of Oguta.
- Nzeribe lost his mother when he was a primary school student while his father was away in Great Britain studying law.
- He served as Senator for the Orlu Senatorial constituency in Imo State from October 1983 to December 1983 and was reelected in the early 2000s on the platform of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) slate.
- In November 2002, Senate President Anyim Pius Anyim indefinitely suspended Senator Nzeribe due to an allegation of an N22 million fraud. In August 2007 Nzeribe was appointed a member of the Board of Trustees of the PDP.
- He was a billionaire believed to be worth over $1.5 billion as of 2018. Nzeribe built Sentinel Assurance and other companies.